B.S., Geology, 1984, Eastern Illinois University
M.S., Geology, 1987, Louisiana Tech University
Professional Geologist – Illinois
Registered Geologist – Missouri
American Institute of Professional Geologists
40-hour OSHA Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response
8-hour OSHA Hazardous Waste Site Supervisor
Mr. Mutchler’s responsibilities include proposal preparation, project management, technical guidance, report preparation, and report review. His experience includes environmental projects for industrial, commercial and large residential developments. Project work includes the following:
- Phase I Environmental Assessments – UST/AGT regulatory compliance issues
- Design and implementation of drilling and sampling programs for soil and groundwater explorations, including underground storage tank (UST) sites â€¢ Development of health and safety plans
- Development of Risk Based Corrective Action (RBCA) Objectives
- Contaminant transport studies – Development of remediation strategies and Corrective Action Plans
- Groundwater monitoring at landfills – Implementation of Corrective Actions
Contaminant investigations have included heavy metals, petroleum hydrocarbons, chlorinated solvents, and polychlorinated biphenyls.
Prior to joining Quality Testing and Engineering, Inc., Mr. Mutchler was employed for 11 years with SCI Engineering, Inc. (SCI). He was responsible for proposal preparation, project management, technical guidance, report preparation, and report review. His experience included environmental projects for industrial, commercial and large residential developments. Prior to joining SCI, Mr. Mutchler was employed for 3 years by TRC Environmental Consultants, Inc. (TRC). He was responsible for the design of drilling and sampling programs for soil and groundwater contaminant investigations; design and construction oversight of bioremediation cell; management of the daily activities at a bioremediation site; and Phase I Environmental Site Assessments. Additional responsibilities included the installation of monitoring wells, extraction wells, and soil borings; continuous core soil sampling and well logging; monitoring well development and water sampling; aquifer testing; supervision of soil gas surveys; and supervision of UST removal and excavation of associated contaminated soils.
REPRESENTATIVE PROJECT EXPERIENCE
- Provided Health and Safety Services for construction companies performing subterranean improvements for Illinois Department of Transportation projects. Limited subsurface explorations were performed to identify and define petroleum impact. Projects included waste characterization, development of Health and Safety Plans, and on-site monitoring of work areas for worker safety.
- Conducted Phase I Environmental Assessments for private landowners, attorneys, developers, lending institutions, contractors, and major corporations. Direct experience includes performing hundreds of Phase I Environmental Site Assessments for commercial, industrial, recreational, and residential properties in California, Illinois, Missouri, Iowa, Indiana, and New York.
- Project Manager for subsurface investigations to identify environmental concerns associated with 12 underground storage tanks at seven sites for a large Illinois utility company. The project also included new aboveground tank system design, preparation of specifications, compliance with the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency (IEPA) and Illinois Office of the State Fire Marshal (OSFM) regulations, excavation monitoring, and remediation of impacted soils.
- Provided UST services on many projects for municipalities, counties, private companies, publicly owned corporations, and individual clients throughout Illinois. Project Manager of numerous leaking UST closures which have included subsurface explorations to determine the extent of hydrocarbon impacted soils and groundwater, soil gas surveys, installation of groundwater monitoring wells, groundwater monitoring, hydraulic conductivity testing, calculating groundwater flow rates and directions, contaminant transport modeling, developing Risk Based Corrective Action objectives, preparing Corrective Action Plans, and remediation management.
- Project Manager on a new development for a large publicly-owned company located in St Louis, Missouri. Provided a subsurface investigation to determine the extent of soil impacted with polychlorinated bipheyls (PCBs) associated with a former railroad unloading area. The project features removal of a concrete vault, remediation of PCB-impacted soil, remediation of soil impacted with lubricating oil, and decommissioning of an aboveground tank.
- Provided services at a former metals recycling facility in Southern California. Project hydrogeologist for the design, construction, and management of a bioremediation treatment cell to remediate 4,000 cubic yards of petroleum-impacted soil at a California Expenditure Fund site. The project also featured an extensive soil sampling program for heavy metal-impacted soil, remediation of heavy metal-impacted soil, groundwater investigation and monitoring for petroleum constituents, and regulatory closure of several subsurface structures.
- Provided services for a former electronics manufacturer in Southern California. Project hydrogeologist for a subsurface investigation to determine the extent of soil and groundwater impacted with chlorinated solvents. The project included the installation and sampling of multiple soil borings and groundwater monitoring wells, groundwater monitoring, and determination of groundwater flow characteristics.